Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dera Ismail Khan (D. I. Khan)

History of D I Khan
Dera Ismail Khan is a district of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwah Province of Pakistan. D I Khan is situated on the west bank of Indus River. Dera Ismail Khan was founded by an Arab, Ismail Khan. Ismail Khan was the son of Malik Sohrab, an Arabian Adventurer. People of D I Khan are called Derawals (Deraywal).

Area and Population of D I Khan
Total area of district is 7,326 km2. While total population of D I Khan is more than 1 Million.

Tehsils of D I Khan
Dera Ismail Khan, Paharpur and Kulachi are three tehsils of district.

Terrorism in D I Khan
D I Khan was badly hit by sectarian and terrorist attacks. There were many suicide attacks happened in D I Khan.

Educational Institutes in D I Khan
Following are the famous educational institutes of Dera Ismail Khan:
  1. Gomal University (founded in 1974)
  2. Al Khair University
  3. AIOU Campus
  4. Gomal Medical College
Transportation in D I Khan
There is an airport in Dera Ismail Khan. D I Khan has also a bus terminal of Daewoo Bus Service. There are also other bus services e.g. Pindi Coaches, Niazi Coaches, Baloch Runners... which provide transportation to masses from D I Khan to other big cities (Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Islamabad, Mianwali, Sargodha...)

Culture of D I Khan
D I Khan has a Mix culture of Punjab and Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa, as it is on the borders of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa. Pushto and Saraiki are the languages of the people.

Maulana Fazal ur Rehman, a famous politician and Chairman Jamiat Ulema e Islam, also belongs to D I Khan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...